Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
"When you love you should not say. 'God is in my heart,' but rather, 'I am in the heart of God.' And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course." - Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Gratitude

“Sanctity has to do with gratitude. To be a saint is to be fueled by gratitude, nothing more and nothing less” (The Holy Longing).
I came across this quote recently while reading The Holy Longing: A Guide to Christian Spirituality, and found so much truth in these words. (I recommend the book highly!) I have been learning so much about GRATITUDE here, especially gratitude for the privileges that I have had within my life. What shocked me at first about my lifestyle in Tanzania is now becoming routine. I am learning to love the intentionality and simplicity of my lifestyle. I am grateful for the life that I am living now, and for the life that I have always known in the United States. As a prayer/journal entry the other day, I wrote about all of the things that I was grateful for in that moment. I decided to share it here because I think that it can give you all a taste of my life and my transition here:
In gratitude for loving parents.
In gratitude for family and friends (especially conversations on Facebook chat!).
In gratitude for the CHOICE of this life of voluntary simplicity (of limiting my choices), and recognizing this choice as the greatest privilege of all. **For a long time, I have been so focused on my own personal comfort/discomfort here that I’ve forgotten about the privilege that is wrapped up in a decision to be able to choose not to have: reliable electricity; running water (hand-washing dishes, laundry, bucket showers); the ability to contact whomever I want, whenever I want; the ability to be surrounded by people of my culture, language, and race; the ability to wear whatever clothing that I want; the ability to have choices about the food that I eat; the ability to have the support structures that I know and rely on; etc. All of these choices that are limited for me right now have allowed me to deeply examine my own privilege as a privilege of choice. To have the choice to “give up” these privileges for a while is the greatest privilege of all. My neighbors, students and friends here do not have this same privilege of choice. I am grateful to be able to attempt solidarity with them for the next two years.
In gratitude for this more intentional and simply lifestyle.
In gratitude for letters and packages (especially with Peanut M&Ms!)
In gratitude for community.
In gratitude for challenges.
In gratitude for the Muslim call to prayer that I hear in the mornings at 4:30 am.
In gratitude for running around a soccer field.
In gratitude for Jesuits.
In gratitude for children.
In gratitude for tea, and rice and beans.
In gratitude for all of my beautiful, loving relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment